This is gnocchi with a twist! This three ingredient gnocchi was surprisingly simple to make, really tasty and has a little extra-added protein!
I love sweet potato, they can have a lot more flavour than white potatoes and have numerous health benefits too! Compared to white potatoes they have more fibre, vitamin A, vitamin B, calcium, manganese and thiamine. As well as fewer calories and carbs!
Vital wheat gluten is what the increasingly popular meat substitute seitan is made from, it is a protein power house (75%) and very low fat (1-2%). I often experiment with my recipes by adding a little to pastas, breads, cakes etc. to increase the protein content without compromising on taste! Seitan itself isn’t for everyone, it is quite chewy and has a distinct flavour. But if you add a little to your cooking I promise you wont even notice it is there! If you don’t have vital wheat gluten in your cupboard don’t worry – just add 1 tbsp more flour.
I served them with my homemade basil pesto and a sprinkling of pine nuts. Find the recipe here.
• 1 Medium Sweet Potato
• ½ Cup White Plain Flour
• 1 tbsp Vital Wheat Gluten
• Stab the sweet potato with a sharp knife multiple times
• Microwave for a few minuets until soft
• Allow to cool
• Cut the potato in half and scoop out the flesh
• Mash up until smooth
• Add the flour, vital wheat gluten and salt
• Mix well and knead for a few minuets
• Roll the dough into long strips, approx. ½ – 1 inch thick
• Cut into 1 inch pieces
• Bring water to the boil in a large pan
• Place the gnocchi into the water
• Allow to cook for approximately 5 mins (the gnocchi will float to the top once cooked)
• Remove from the water and serve
| Per Serving | Cals 222 | Protein 11g | Carbs 42g | Fat 1g |